by Lynn & Don Ventura
Our “tiny home” isn’t your standard, however, it is a “tiny (temporary) home!” My husband and I built our custom woody teardrop (Benroy model) three years ago and have enjoyed every minute since. We can’t go anywhere without sometimes literally hundreds of folks coming by to check it out! In August we took it, with our 1951 Chevy pickup, from Florida to Michigan, Canada, & New York and even shared it with a bus of Japanese tourists in the Shenandoah National Park on the way home! (Needless to say they’d never seen anything quite like it in their country and had to take pictures of it (and us) to take home.)
While this is based on the original, it has modern upgrades including:
- 5′x8′ base to accommodate a queen size air mattress
- door on both sides for easy ingress/egress
- open/close windows complete with screens
- custom square tube frame for durability
- larger tires than typical with “store-bought” frames
- outlets/lights inside & out
- wired for TV
- A/C (hidden in the trunk on the tongue)
- completely oak wrapped, including fenders (regular metal fenders underneath for durability)
Unfortunately we are now moving on and need to find it a good home with someone who will treasure it the way we have.
We live in Central Florida, just west of Daytona Beach in the little “town” of Barberville.
Check out our blog showing how it was built! http://dlvent-teardropper.blogspot.com/
Oh yes – the price! $6,000 and I’ll cry all the way out the driveway! We really have enjoyed it that much!