PodCast – Shou Sugi Ban and Bamboo: Old School Materials and Methods that are Better than Modern Techniques with Palo Coleman
What natural material has the tensile strength of steel and can grow 12? in a single day? Bamboo! On today’s show, I’m chatting with my friend Palo Coleman about alternative and old-school building methods and materials that are better than what we do today. We’ll also go in depth on Shou Sugi Ban, which is the (now popular again) technique for preserving wood by burning it.
In This Episode:
- Shou Sugi Ban: How, why, and which wood to use
- What other materials do you need?
- Lifespan and proper maintenance of Shou Sugi Ban
- How to set you Mac to Do Not Disturb (yep, you read that right)
- The don’ts of Shou Sugi Ban
- Let’s talk bamboo: is it only an invasive plant?
- How does Palo use bamboo?
- Do you need special tools to use bamboo?
- Did Palo really haul wood on top of his Honda Civic?
- More old techniques that Palo likes