In this weeks podcast Ethan talks with Jenifer Levini about the legal landscape of tiny houses. This is one of the most frustrating and confusing parts of living in a tiny house.
A tiny house still is not a legal term in municipalities and most don’t know how to fit it into their existing law.
Jenifer Levini is a housing and land use lawyer, and author of Building, Occupying & Selling Tiny Homes Legally.
Jenifer discusses the 6 types of tiny homes, Jenifer walks us through the 6 types of tiny homes (from a legal perspective), why codes are critical for safety, RV vs. residential code, and her take on avoiding bad players.
This is a must listen to if you are seriously considering living in a tiny home.
In This Episode:
- Tiny house isn’t a legal term: here’s an overview of the law
- What are the different categories of tiny homes?
- Is it worth paying to have your tiny home certified?
- The ins and outs of egress windows
- How to ask if you can live legally in your tiny home
- Mythology about registering your THOW
- What a good builder looks like
- Are you getting a great deal or being ripped off?
Links and Resources:
- NFPA 1192 code
- ANSI A119.5
- Building, Occupying & Selling Tiny Homes Legally