Cob is one of the oldest building materials and most of us never even consider it.
Ethan interviews his guest Dave Olsen and they talk about why most cob building are tiny houses. The main reason is that they are very time consuming to build.
Cob is a mixture of clay, sand, straw, and water that hardens into a thick, load-bearing, structure.
Dave Olsen has been building with cob for over 20 years. He has developed a his own technique, called “Fast Cob”.
In this podcast, Dave tells us about the benefits of Cob building, how to do fast cob, and more.
In This Episode:
- What is cob and how is it used?
- How cob insulates and lets the house breathe at the same time.
- Off-grid friendly, hardly any waste, and little home maintenance
- Traditional cob building and how it differs from the Fast Cob mixing method
- Does cob require any sort of framing?
- Natural plaster is made of what? ?
- The best foundation for a cob house and how it’s different from a regular foundation
- Where to find materials if you have to source them
- Cob and metal are a fireproof combination
Links and Resources: