Inspired by David Thoreau and energized by the opportunity to live a more sustainable and simple life, Jim Wilkins of St. Paul, Minnesota, has designed and built several tiny green cabins available for sale.
Each of these cabins have been developed to be multi-purpose, eco-friendly, transportable and stylish.
Tiny Green Cabins are earth friendly cabins ranging in size from 48 square feet to 252 square feet.
The Wildflower cabin is 120 square feet and built with green certified materials and reclaimed products as well as recycled materials. The walls and the floor are insulated with Soft Touch Cotton insulation made from recycled blue jeans.
The 8×18 foot Wildflower cabin base price is $19,900. Several options are included such as pine or cedar paneling, a propane fireplace and solar tripod. An upgraded model is for sale for $23,500 which includes Trex decking and wavy edge cedar wainscotting (which I just love!).
Two other green cabins profiled on Jim’s website are the 6×8 foot Mini-Sota which starts at $8,358 or the 8×10 foot Sunflower Starting at $10,499.
Neither price includes cabinetry, appliances or shipping. A $2,000 deposit will reserve a production date for a Tiny Green Cabin. A 50 percent deposit is required two weeks prior to production, with the balance due upon completion and delivery of the home.
Standard Items in the Tiny Green Cabins:
- FSC Cert. Mixed * SW-COC-000669 Lumber
- Ultra Touch Cotton Ins 6X16 – Recycled Denim (cotton) Insulation – (Blue Jeans)
- Finger jointed 2 X 3’s and 2 X 4’s
- Recycled & Reclaimed Lumber
- Anderson Silverline Windows
- Pro-Rib Steel 29 gauge panel – Emerald Green
- Trex Decking (recycled plastic and wood fibers)
- Low VOC paints
- Acrylic caulks
- Energy Star Electrical Boxes
- CDX roof and exterior sheathing
- Tyvek Exterior building wrap
- Vertical OSB substrate “Smart Panel” exterior siding
- Rebond (recycled) carpet padding
- Insulated windows (low e on some models both in recyclable aluminum and vinyl)
- Type 6 nylon carpet from Shaw
Optional Items in the Tiny Green Cabins:
- Recycled tires and axles.
- I-beam manufactured from scrap, recycled steel
- OSB Floor, Wall, and Roof Decking
- “James Hardie” Cemplank exterior siding
- Title 24 interior lighting
- Insulated fiberglass (50 year warranty) exterior entry doors.
- “Rinnai” tankless gas water heater
- PEX water systems (recyclable with no solvent connections)
- DR 24 PVC and ABS drain lines, less materials with recycled contents
- Gypsum panels (recycled paper)
- Energy Star appliances (most standard models and all up grades)
- Programmable thermostat
- 2×6 S4S Cedar Porch Decking
- Spray foam exterior wall insulation
- Electric Fireplace
- Cordwood Simulated Siding/Wainscoat
- Wavy Edge Rough Sawn Cedar Siding
- Water saver toilets, tub and shower diverters
- Quick recovery water heaters
- Aluminum (recyclable) mini-blinds
Jim also offers custom services for those that desire new designs along with products that can be incorporated into the tiny cabins, such as denim/cotton insulation, recycled and reclaimed materials, FSC Certified lumber products, solar panels for power off the grid, homemade soaps, organic products and other earth friendly sustainable products.
If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to our feed