Nearly a year ago we asked you to submit your stories of life in a small home to be the subject of a video. We received many responses and out of that we produced two popular videos: one with Kyle and Jenine and their tiny American Dream house on wheels; and a second with the Jordan family in their Shotgun Shack Redux.
Our feature submitted by Debra Jordan of her family’s 320-square-foot home went viral with over a million visit in just a month.
We thought that was fairly successful so we’re going to ask you again for submissions. I’ll re-post our requirements and my details below, but basically anyone with access to a camera (even a still camera with a video setting) should apply.
Who I am
I’m Kirsten Dirksen, a former television producer (MTV, Sundance Channel, Oxygen, Travel Channel) and I now create videos for my husband’s and my website – faircompanies.com – and as a blogger for the Huffington Post.
What I’m looking for
I am looking for people who live in small spaces (house, apartment, trailer, yurt, etc) who are interested in being profiled for video stories. You would have to have access to a digital camera (whether a camcorder, something simpler like a Flip camera or even the video setting of your still camera).
What I’ll do with it
I would then edit your story and it would appear on faircompanies, on the Tiny House Blog, on my youtube channel and possibly on the Huffington Post and in a documentary I’m working on (see Can living smaller and simpler make you happier?).
The submissions process
- You submit a few paragraphs describing your small home (ideally with photos attached) and explaining why you have chosen to live small (or if you didn’t choose it, what works about it for your lifestyle).
- I will select a few people that we think would make great videos.
- I will send you more information with shooting tips.
- You will videotape your home and I will either interview you via Skype (for an example, see video The Burden of Stuff) or ideally, you (or a friend) will record your own interview describing your home and why it works for you to live small.
- You will send me your digital footage via a filesharing service.
- I will edit your video and post it to the websites mentioned above.
Please contact me with your submissions at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to hearing about some unique small spaces.