In response to shifting fundamentals in the ways people are wanting to live, Texas-based Kanga Room Systems has created a variety of tiny portable buildings that can be used as tiny homes, personal or office spaces, and investment properties. These eco-friendly kits are shipped ready to assemble into well-designed, well-engineered and aesthetically-pleasing tiny structures that Kanga describes as “dream-sized”.
Kanga chose the kangaroo to symbolize their company and product because of its strength, agility and the ability for a kangaroo mother’s pouch to be a natural portable home. Because of this, Kanga is also committed to using sustainable materials and energy efficient products whenever possible while still keeping their structures affordable.
Kanga currently offers several options: the Kanga Studio is available in the The Modern and The Country Cottage styles and the Kanga Cabin is a larger structure that can be constructed to accommodate a bathroom, kitchenette, a separate bedroom and a loft.
The Modern design offers clean lines, a progressive style and can be constructed to sizes large enough to accommodate a bathroom and a kitchenette. The Modern comes in eight sizes: the 8’x10′ for around $7,150, the 10’x12′ for around $7,900, the 12’x14′ for around $9,200, the 12’x16′ and the 14’x14′ for around $9,860, the 14’x16′ for around $10,670, the 14’x20′ for around $11,999 and the 14’x24′ for around $13,400.
The Country Cottage has an open, airy feel in a classic design. The base model includes a skid foundation, floor system, 8″ lap siding, one door and two 24×48 front windows. The base models start at $9,950 for the 10’x12′ and go to $15,550 for the 14’x24′ model.
All kits include the following:
- 4″x 6″ treated skids cut to length for foundation system
- 4’x 8′ wall panels sheathed with 7/16″ OSB w/ radiant barrier
- 2×6 floor system sheathed with plywood decking
- Roof system panels with R19 insulation and 8″ pine tongue & groove applied
- Roof decking with 7/16 OSB w/ radiant barrier
- EPDM roof membrane
- 6″ galvanized facia flashing
- 12″ Hardie fiber cement open joint siding with EPDM moisture barrier
- Cedar accent siding
- 36″ Metal door with full lite glass
- Door knob with lock and key set
- One 18″x36″ window (fixed glass with wood frame)
- Transom windows with structural steel window frame
- Laminated roof support beam cut to length
Upgrades and extras include updated doors and windows, pine beadboard paneling, pine, oak, bamboo or cork flooring, paint, upgraded lighting, a front or side deck, wiring packages, a metal roof, and installed bathrooms and kitchenettes on models 12’x14′ or larger.
The kits come delivered with instructions and can be assembled with basic tools such as a shovel, level, hammer, circular saw and power drill. A pneumatic finishing nailer and framing gun make for a quicker and easier install. Shipping costs will depend on the location of the building site.
Photos courtesy of Kanga Room Systems