Rick Moore on Living Off-Grid for Months at Sea: Hydroponics, Solar, Wind, and Gardening on a Sailboat
In his podcast, Ethan talks with Rick Moore about the challenges of living on a 50-ft sailboat. The sailboat, the Sophisticated Lady, is fully set up to live off-grid for months at a time, with solar and wind power, a water desalination unit, and even a garden on board.
Rick takes us through his systems and shows how living on the water can apply to tiny house living.
In This Episode:
- Solar and wind power make the Sophisticated Lady 99% self-sustainable
- An in-depth look at the benefits of lithium batteries
- The importance of redundant systems: back up your backup and your backup’s backup
- Rick’s desalination system is a huge game-changer for self-sustainability
- When ventilation is better than air conditioning
- How do you grow a garden on a sailboat?
- Refining the art of being environmentally responsible
- Rainwater collection tips
Links and Resources: