I’m quite a big fan of Mother Earth News and in most of their recent issues there are always articles on SIPs or Structural Insulated Panels.
I started doing some research on tiny houses using SIPs and found a great site and company who specializes in tiny or small buildings called Little Green Buildings based in Port Angeles, Washington.
They are a small company with great customer service. There buildings range in size from 32 square feet to 400 square feet and are quite reasonably priced.
Why Use SIPs? Here are a few good reasons.
- Extremely energy efficient.
- Super insulated floors, walls and roof.
- Small heating and air conditioning equipment = much lower utility bills and no more cold feet.
- Because of the core system of rigid foam no mold, no bugs.
- And a great fire rating!
- Stronger, straighter, three times faster to build.
- No vapor barriers to worry about.
- Little or no waste.
- No need for bird blocks or ridge vents.
- Storm and earthquake resistant.
- Snow loads just about anywhere on earth.
- Super quiet. Need a place to shut out the noise of every day life?
- More space. Because the roof itself is insulated â€œno atticâ€, more room for loft or storage space.
Here are a few more samples of Little Green Buildings designs: