While not officially tiny, the structural design and energy efficiency of the Haven by Reno, Nevada based Envirohaven may make it the home of the future. The 1,550 square foot home package is designed to waste as little material as possible and can be completely off-grid—an addition the Envirohaven group calls the “Life System.”
The current Haven is a model built by Greg and Vicki Bischoff of Suncrest Builders, Inc. Greg’s vision was to create a smaller, simple, cost-effective and energy efficient home for more remote living conditions. The patent pending home prefab package, made of EPS foam and a green, water soluble exterior stucco coating, can be assembled anywhere for under $75 a square foot. The sphere-like house encloses the greatest amount of living area with the least amount of surface area and fewer materials needed for construction. The Haven is different from a typical geodesic dome in that it utilizes more interior space. Other unique features of the Haven include a centralized core mechanical area allowing for shorter plumbing and electrical runs which increases efficiency, and an optional space heating feature incorporated into panels in the structure.
The Haven package includes the following:
• Site specific engineered plans including site plan, floor plans and elevations, foundation and framing plans, electrical plan, etc. Plans are guaranteed for local building department approval.
• Partially assembled wall sections, complete hardware package for assembly
• Dual pane, low-e energy-efficient windows
• Solid core exterior doors
• Pre-cut metal roofing for long lasting durability
• Exterior siding that will provide a fire, weather resistant and flexible coating
• Siding and roofing materials
• Detailed construction manuals, videos, and remote electronic assistance are available for owner-builders as well as licensed general contractors desiring to purchase unfinished packages.
• Customized site specific options available for all customers.
The Haven’s Life System includes a Solar PV and Solar Thermal equipment for hot water, radiant baseboard or underfloor heating systems, an alternate heat source in the form of a wood burning or pellet stove, and a grey water recycling program.
Photos courtesy of Envirohaven