About

Kent GriswoldMy name is Kent Griswold and I have developed this blog because of my love of small spaces. I have always dreamed of having a cabin and have done research over the years. Tiny houses have also become an interest to me in the last few years and I have combined my interest in both of these to publish this blog. The Tiny House Blog was established in May of 2007. The goal of the tiny house blog is to discover the different options available for a person looking to down size into a tiny house or cabin. I will be looking at different type of construction, from logs, to yurts to modern and the unusual. I will also do book reviews, look at alternate energy for heat and electricity. I also want to hear your story so please contact me with your pictures and your own experiences in living simply and small. I want to encourage feedback and ideas to make this an informative blog. Stories of people who are living this dream. Pictures of tiny houses and cabins, etc. My goal is to publish daily if possible.  I’ve heard a lot of good things about living healthier in the new, downsized arrangement and less worries even with basic family health plans depending which state. Thank you for sharing in this experience with me.

The Tiny House Blog Team

Christina Nellemann is a graphic and web designer, writer and blogger who’s been writing for the Tiny House Blog since 2008. Her work can be seen at Feline Design. Her interest in tiny houses goes back to childhood and an obsession of vardo design and cob houses. She loves to travel around the world searching for tiny houses and goes camping in a yellow teardrop trailer which gets quite a bit of attention on the road.

Andrew OdomFounder of Tiny r(E)volution and author of the popular book ‘Your Message Here : GAINING CORPORATE SPONSORS for your tiny house project’, Andrew Odom is a social media strategist and content crusader amongst other things. He is also an accomplished photojournalist with work seen in Details, Relevant, South, Kitchen Drawer, and Tiny House Magazine(s). His proudest accomplishment however is his long-time adoption of and current advocacy of the tiny house/small house/unconventional house community as a designer, builder, dweller, and speaker. Having recently sold their 240 square foot tiny house Andrew and his wife (as well as his 3-year old daughter) live and travel in a 27-foot Aruba travel trailer.

JodyJody joins the Tiny House team after recognizing her apparent draw to tiny spaces. She transitioned from a 4000 sf home in cold weather to an ocean-going vessel in the tropics. Living on the ocean and relying solely on the systems within her floating tiny house has given her a whole new appreciation for simple living. She resides compactly aboard a 42′ sailboat with her boyfriend Peter and their two furry four-legged children, Gunner and Betsy. Jody traded in the corporate conundrum for a life less ordinary and is now island-hopping around the Caribbean. Between a quirky obsession with organizing, capturing pretty pictures, diving with turtles and burying her toes in the sand, she feeds a passion for writing by blogging about their adventures in search of surf, sun, sand and serenity Where The Coconuts Grow.

Kasey March joined Tiny House Blog in April, 2011 as the copy editor. She graduated from the College of New Jersey with a BA in English and minors in Creative Writing and Women & Gender Studies. She recently began a trend spotting, decoration, & DIY blog Buttonwood Cottage (buttonwoodcottage.com). Kasey plans to someday build a strawbale and cob home with her boyfriend, Shane that meets her tiny house needs. When not researching cob building, she is ignored by her cat, Calvin, and adored by her dog, Hobbs, who live with her in southern New Jersey.

140 Comments About

1. Carrie

Hi Kent,

I have been poking around on your website and absolutely love it! I have been attracted to small, cozy, yet functional spaces such I was a kid. So it made since that when it came time to buy our first home that we would choose a small 650 sq. foot cottage that was originally built in the early 1930’s. I share my space with my husband, 2 year old St. Bernard, chickens, and lots of gardens! Our home was a fixture of the community back in the 40’s and 50’s with the original owner and builder being quite the social butterfly. It has been wonderful to have neighbors stop by and share their stories and memories of what it was like when they used to come over for BBQ’s and cocktail hour. We are located in the white mountains of nh, just outside waterville valley, or “ski country” as it is known around here! Thank you, thank you for this site, it is inspirational to see others ideas and dreams and to see that we are not the only “crazy” people who feel that living small is really living large!

PS I tried to upload a photo through gravatar and I don’t understand how to get the image on this??

2. Pingback: viviendo vivienda » Blog Archive » the tiny house blog

3. Pingback: Tiny House Design , Archive » Tiny House Blog featured on Aol Housing Watch

4. Ryan Temple

I run a new Portland business that distributes sustainably produced lumber from local mills. Seems like working out product into these types of houses would be a perfect fit. Good for the forest, good for the community, and senssible green building.

5. Lin

I stumbled across this site this morning, and have been wandering around within, reading various articles/posts/comments. This is a SUPER site. I built (with a little help from my friends) a 16 X 24, with full 2nd loft, frame cabin several years ago which I used to share with my large 4-legged buddy, and now live in by myself. I am always considering new ideas for this cabin, and another I have. Thanks to all who are willing to share.

6. Ashlee

Just stumbled across your site. I live in a 215 sq.ft. studio apartment in London, UK. It’s the garden flat in a conservation-listed Georgian building (aka impossible to gain approval for major works). Am going out of my mind, as my husband and I are like to squished peas in a pod–need some decorating ideas badly! Am hoping to find ‘micro’ living inspiration here :)

7. awbirdhouse

Thanks For this!

I’m working on a tiny pace for my 9 year old son and I. a 12×12 cabin with a 6×6 room attached for him. Complete with secret door, window for jumping out of, and whiteboard wall for entertainment. We’re having a great time and plan to move in June 1st. Love reading your blog, great information and inspiration!

8. Nancy

I am losing my job and plan to buy a small piece of land and build a tiny home. Could you tell me how to find out about restrictions on square feet minimums for the locations I would be interested in?

9. Karen

I am building a little house in my backyard. I’m in over my head and could use someone with energy and know how to help me out. I’m looking for someone who would work alongside me and keep the project going. I live near Seattle in a northern suburb. If there’s anyone out there who would be interested in paid employment working on such a project I’d love some help. Probably like one day a week, and maybe a little more.

10. di

To conserve our precious resources, our concepts and behaviors need to change. The economy could be focused on service to each other rather than manufacturing possessions. Our homes could be even smaller!

*Eliminate dining areas, tables, desks, bureaus, closets, cupboards and shelving.
    *Use a computer laptop for all media.

*If you’re single, eliminate the bedroom.
    *Use a daybed as a couch.
    *Store possessions in pull-out cardboard boxes under the bed.
    *Cover the bed with a quilt. Store extra blankets in pillowcases on the bed.
    *To limit your wardrobe, recombine several two-piece outfits.
    *Use a hooded jacket rather than a hat or umbrella.
    *Hang your coat on a simple hook near the door.
    *Limit footware to one pair of boots, shoes and sneakers.
    *The day before, iron an outfit on a towel and use one hanger.
    *Rather than an alarm clock, use a watch with an alarm.
    *Do iPhones have the time and an alarm?

*Use an under-counter fridge and under-counter combination washer/dryer.
    *Use a portable stove top and one-pot recipes.
    *For counter space, use a pull-out cutting board.
    *Use a cutting board over the sink, fridge or washer/dryer.
    *A bowl, mug, fork, spoon and large knife are sufficient.
    *Store kitchen items and dry goods under the sink or daybed.
    *Rather than a cupboard door, use two curtains of recycled fabric.
    *Reuse a jar to store food.
    *Dine with your bowl in your lap.
    *Dry dishes on a dish towel.
    *Dry dish and bath towels on simple hooks.

*Rather than drapes, use a small curtain at the top of a window.
    *If you live in privacy, do not use curtains.
    *Mini-blinds are more versatile than window shades.

*For guests, use a folding lawn chair – store it in the trunk of your car.

Explore alternatives – it’s a fun puzzle!

11. couti

Bonjour Kent

Bravo pour ton site !
    I would like to present you a very well-planned tiny house, named Ecoquille (french pun = eco-shell)
    this house is inspired by a framework book written in Sixteenth Century by the King’s architect Philibert de l’Orme. It looks like a reversed boat hull. It’s an écological, bio-climatic construction. Thanks to its compact shape, it needs fewer materials and heating. The smaller house (”la Petite”) offers 17 m2 (17 square metres) for 2 persons with bathroom, toilet, etc. You can fold it and put it on stilts.
    This tiny house is our dream but unfortunately not yet allowed in all places in France

See the Ecoquille’s story on :

Bien cordialement
    Couti

12. Gayle

I have a picture of a trailer my dad built in 1937. My parents lived in it with my older brother for two or three years. Then my older sister came along and they bought a bigger trailer. By the time I came along three years after that, they moved into a house.

I have a good picture of the house and the car they drove in those days but I couldn’t find an email address so I could send it to you. If you would like to see it, please send me an email so I can attach it to a reply.

Gayle (see email address for full name)

13. Gabrielle Songe

Delighted to have found your Tiny House Blog with so many unique and beautifully wood crafted small homes. Would love to locate a 400-500 SF pre-owned or inexpensive log or wood-sided cabin-on-wheels with bedroom, loft, kitchen-living combo and small porch on easy terms close to Memphis, TN.

14. Terry

Enjoying your blog. We have a work in progress cottage we purchased in 2004 just an hour north of Montreal,Canada. Originally 450 sq.ft. on a sloped lot. In the second year, we had it jacked up & poured a concrete walkout basement by a contractor. The rest was done by myself;3 bedrms & bathrm downstairs of new space & partially gutted upstairs original space; going to 6 inch walls from original 3 for extra insulation,new wiring,plumbing etc..Cold winters.Will soon have a wood stove to supplement electric baseboard heat.Soon be done.Hard work,but fulfilling!

15. Pingback: Birds Have Nests, Foxes Have Holes… | The Wirehead Mechanist

16. L. J. Siebeneicher

Just found your blog site Kent…really nice to know other people out there thinking small…although, I may be taking this to an EXTREME!!!…BUT, here goes my ideal retirement home with my German Shepherd dog Boo is coming up in a few years and my living quarters will be 9′ X 8’…72 square feet in a “Go little Guys.com” teardrop trailer…completely “Off Grid” lifestyle…$1,700 state of the art Solar System from Earth Tech and Honda 53 Db generators, and 3-way powered air conditioning/heat/and humidifier!

17. Blaino

Greetings,
    I have been watching your corner here for some time, great site.
    I am now semi retired and I am considering the construction of several Modern Vardo’s with the following enhancements:
    Wood construction on a steel frame and modern running gear, brakes, lighting for safe moving.
    Fully insulated, almost maintenance free exterior.
    Traditional “Showman” or “Reading” style top with double lofts, including awning style transom windows in the double tier roof.
    8′ 6″ wide X 20′ long X 13′ overall height. (Very high ceilings in the main salon) and with a 8’W X 4’L deck with railings and covered by the extended roof. This will yield a 24′ overall length when the porch is deployed when the Vardo is in use. The porch has full railings and screen panels to enclose the porch if desired. (not for use under tow) and traditional steps to the porch. The deck is hinged to retract and features removable railings for a shorter towed vehicle and this also serves to render the main door covered and secure when traveling.
    The design will include interior features to make the Vardo a virtual retirement home if desired, and include:
    Stackable washer/dryer (gas), Thermostatically controlled furnace and water heater, full kitchen with gas stove, (including oven) sink, apartment size fridge (3 way), micro-wave, range vent, table seating for 5, Queen bed down, Queen bed up, Full size shower (32 x 32), 40 Gallon black water tank, 40 gallon grey water tank, gas water heater, 50 gallon fresh water tank, full 12 Volt and 110 Volt wiring, 3000 watt inverter, with 4 deep cycle batteries, 36″ doors, a stairway to main loft bedroom, Sofa folds away for additional floor space if desired, (The sofa is NOT one of the queen beds) a storage wall of cabinets and drawers, a storage loft, cabinets and more cabinets.
    The design includes fully insulated windows and doors and a passive solar heating design with the side window fittings.
    There is also a site deployable exterior shower and solar water heater system. Plenty of room for outdoor tables and a deployable awning on the side. There is even a small door to load groceries directly into the kitchen from outside rather than carry everything up the entry steps and through the unit.
    This design will lend itself to an RV park, a private property situation(with shore power and waste handling) as well as an event attraction and living situation,or as a gypsy- going where you want – when you want…. even the back yard! (Yours or….)
    All the construction will be screwed, glued and gusseted, with galvanized brackets, clips and straps screwed at all the structural joints. There will NOT be a lot of nailed joints squeaking and failing. Many joints will have old fashioned mortise and tenon joinery as well as doweling and where appropriate. Metal flashing and construction will assure a water tight shell rather than a reliance on caulk and sealants, although they will be employed in the proper way as well.
    I have a long career building homes, sun-rooms, room additions, and so on. I think I can build 3 at a time as easily as one or two and am seeking to connect with anyone that might consider commissioning a unique and versatile Vardo.
    These will be affordable to the extent that one considers the appointments and prospective owners may provide finish painting and decoration to reduce the cost and allow them some participation in the project. As described I am thinking we are in the $30K to $35K range as I will do the work at home and save expensive overheads. Scroll work, carvings and the like will be at additional expense, of course but may be added by the owner post completion. These will assuredly be “AHHH & OHHH!” Vardo’s, and the subject of discussion where ever they go!
    Built to last a lifetime with basic care!

I will appreciate your thoughts and any help you may offer. I think there are a lot of people that might want a gorgeous, comfortable Vardo with these kinds of features, however with no one to build it and no place to buy it…. and as most do not have the skills to create a safe, well made, trailer-able unit of this size that can handle repeated moves with style and grace, I am decided to create these units on a very limited, special order basis. Feel free to pass this on to anyone that may have an interest. I can also produce any other Vardo plan out there with strength and style… quickly too!
    Centrally located in Missouri, delivery available.
    Thanks,
    Blaino
    573 310-5191
    PS I was trying to send this as an e-mail, however there seems to be an issue with your address, you might wish check on it. Thanks again!

18. Miwa

Hello! I haven’t yet gotten a chance to explore your website in too much depth, but from what I have seen this looks awesome. I am taking a year off before I finish my last year of undergrad and am actually on my way to seattle to join a cob project. I also have the dream of one day living in a cob cottage and having a community/retreat center/school that showcases natural and efficient building methods. Cob is the material that has most captured my imagination thus far due to its sculptural nature but I am also intrigued by earthships, yurts, and yurt variations, and other natural building methods. I’ve been writing some about my explorations on my blog, http://sculptingearth.wordpress.com/, and will be writing a lot more in the upcoming months as I dive into my apprenticeship in washington! But anyway, I am glad I found this website and will use it as a resource in my explorations of natural and sustainable buildings!

19. Pingback: Blogosphere: Who do ya read? « Fish Stories

20. Mark Hundhammer

Hey Kent, just wanted to drop you a quick note of thanks for your blog. Take a look at the cover story in this months Wooden Book magazine. Awesome design of a (potentially) live abroard boat.
    Thanks, Mark Hundhammer

21. Captain Flo

Hi,
    I’m falling in love with this blog already. Since I was a teenager I’ve been fascinated by the idea of living in unusual small spaces such as train carriages, converted huts/ sheds/ anything that is not a conventional house. I’m so glad it’s not just me!

Years later I have bought my first (tiny) narrowboat, and am finding the pics on this site inspirational!

Please take a look at my first-time narrowboater’s blog at captainflo.blogspot.com ,where I will be sharing pics of my progress in making this TINY space into a home.

22. jasonalonzo

Very interesting article on tiny houses. Hope this projects will come into poor communities and countries will many people have no real home or simply don not own a house.

patios plano

23. Penny Wallace

I hate computers and do nothing on them, but……… I want to buy the book. May I have and address? or telephone number to order the book?

I do NOTHING online.

Penny Wallace

541-999-8686

24. Pingback: The Tiny House Movement | Massive Tiny Dreams

25. Robert La Quey

I live in the Philippines where small houses are everywhere. Bahay Kubo or Nipa Hut they are the basis for shelter for literally tens of millions of people. http://www.mamalisa.com/?t=es&p=1017&c=150

This makes it very strange for me get my mind around the notion of a “tiny house movement.” Where I live tiny houses are common and nobody thinks anything of it.

That said in the late 70s I lived with my wife in 10x16ft converted garage with a loft. I paid 600 dollars/year for it two blocks from the beach in La Jolla, California. I have to wonder why it took 30 years for this kind of thing to catch on.

26. Pingback: A Book Giveaway + The Blog Tour — go small, think big & be happy

27. jamshed anwar

i live in Pakistan and i am today talking about tiny houses and this idea may be became an business after first house is made and people see it on the road and one the way or at any picnic spot it attract them it is new and must attract the people.

28. Lynda

Does anyone remember seeing the link for a house that a lady had used two concrete block structures incorporated under a shed roof? I
    have been trying to locate this. Any help will
    be most appreciated.

29. Pingback: Waszyngton. Miniaturowe domy na kryzys | Informacje USA - Informacje Chicago, Nowy Jork, USA

30. Kenzo

People in NYC routinely live in spaces less than 300 sq ft. And new construction seems to be jamming even more / smaller units into apartment buildings.

31. Heidi

Hi Kent,

My husband and I are huge fans of your blog and the entire tiny home movement. Thank you for for providing such a wealth of useful and interesting information on this important movement! Almost 2 years ago we purchased a mid size school bus for the purpose of creating our own tiny mobile home. We have been living on it successfully for a year and a half, parking on others homesteads and learning a lot along the way! We love the tiny house life! We’ve recently started our own blog to chronicle our experiences and thoughts. We’d love for you to check it out and let us know what you think. Maybe some of your readers would be interested in out story?

Thanks,

Heidi Schwartz

wildbluebus.com

32. Jenny

I live in a 597 sq foot house that was built in 1948. I love my house, it has personality, easy to clean, heat, etc. I am single, one of my grandchildren was over and I had the bedroom door shut, he looked at me and said “Nana, you have a small house”, he was 4 at the time. I just laughed. You don’t need alot to be happy, happiness is a feeling, not a product of material things! And I just bought myself a tiny tear drop trailer. I can travel around the world with just a carry on! Long live tiny and carefree living!

33. Pingback: tiny house project

34. Jane

Hi Kent,

Great blog! I am trying to get a loan to build my tiny dream house, do you have any suggestions of how to best convince the bank to lend money or do you have any suggested reading about this topic or know of other blogs that would be helpful?

35. Vizien

You give awesome ideas about tiny homes and other small space. Thanks for sharing such valuable information. This is one of my favorite blog. Anyway, may I use some of your pictures and post it on my blog?

Regards

Vizien

36. Anonuous

I love your site, I have been interested in small homes and wilderness living for quite some time now and I am only 16 at the time of writing this. If I had the time, money, and a car I would try building a house on a trailer like some of the homes on your site. It would be great to travel around the country without leaving your house.